Extra security to help Keep you safe
Online security - Strong Customer Authentication
At Principality, we're committed to making sure you stay safe when using our online service, Your Account.
So we’ve introduced extra security checks to help keep you safe when managing your finances online.
All UK banks and building societies carry out extra security checks. They are called Strong Customer Authentication, or SCA for short. SCA is designed to help us all fight fraud and improve the security of online payments.
The process, to make sure it’s really you, is known as two-factor authentication. Two of the three categories below must be used to do this.
Principality’s SCA solution uses the first two categories when you log in to Your Account and when you move money to your linked account.
- Something you know, for example
- A strong password is an essential part of online safety and should have 10 or more characters, including capital letters, symbols and numbers. Customers already signed up to Your Account without strong passwords, will be asked to change their password to a new strong password next time they log in or apply for a savings account. They’ll only have to do this once.
- Security questions: All Your Account registered customers will also be asked to select three security questions, just in case they forget their password. These questions will replace the memorable word. They’ll only have to do this once.
- New customers will create their strong password and select their security questions as part of signing up to Your Account.
- Something you have e.g. mobile phone.
- As part of the Your Account login, we’ll send a passcode to your mobile phone, so it’s important we’ve got the right number. This mobile phone must be yours and not shared with anyone else. In the future, you may not be able to log into Your Account or complete an online application if you use a shared mobile phone. If we don’t have your current mobile phone number, we can’t send you a passcode and you won’t be able to log in.
Frequently Asked Questions
- the log in to our new Your Account, and
- moving money to your linked account.
You’ll need a one time passcode (OTP) to complete both.
If you’re a Principality customer registered for our online service Your Account, we’ll need your current mobile.
As part of the log in for the new Your Account, we’ll send a passcode to your mobile, so it’s important we’ve got the right number for you.
If you’re a Principality customer who hasn’t registered for our online service, you don’t need to do anything now. If you decide to register for Your Account later, we’ll need your current mobile number.
If you don’t have a mobile number or haven’t got a mobile signal, you won’t be able to log in to the new Your Account. Don’t worry you can still call us to manage your account.
If you have an online only savings account*, you can call us to continue to manage your account.
*An online only savings account is opened online and managed by using our online service Your Account.
If you have another type of account, you can also visit a local branch or post a request to us.
We will continue to review our solutions to meet the requirements of the SCA regulations.
You can call us to provide your current mobile number.
At Principality, we’re committed to making sure you stay safe when using our online service. That’s why, from now on, if you forget your password you’ll need to answer three security questions to reset it. They will replace your memorable word.
Principality. Lle mae cartref yn bwysig.